Thursday, February 2, 2012

Establishing a Character



Just adding to my objection with Mamet saying that establishing a character isn't as important, I think this advertisement from Coca Cola proves the opposite.

What I like about this ad that made it successful (in my eyes at least) is the characterization. There are two others, but I wanted to use one that used the puns to make it humorous. Each character, the Eye, the Tongues and the Brain are given a character based on what they are -- the Eye can easily spot that the Coca Cola Zero is not actually the original and the Tongues taste it and can't read the label, indicating that it is the same. The Brain comes in with the humorous, "You're giving me a headache." which fits it's character very well. The characterization is important for the Brain because it gave threats to the Eye and the Tongues because it is in control, like our brains are typically in control of us.

I feel that something like this would help with scriptwriting as we reach to the stage of developing our narrative video in a short amount of time. For me, character and plot has always been important, even in film. What was so successful about this is that they were able to establish such in a short amount of time, less than the maximum our second assignment is supposed to be. This makes me wonder how I can make my video effect with a developed characters (or character). With this ad, they used a literal representation to get their message across along with things only those literal objects (Eye, Tongues, and Brain) can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment