Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Danish Poet


Another animation I enjoy. The Danish Poet is by the National Film Board and helped launch Torill Kove's career as an animator and director.

The style of the animation is very simple and reminds me of traditional animation. Kove hand drew it with pencil and paper, scanned it and digitally edited it. It brought forward the theme of the story, of coincidence and retelling the narrator's origin. In my animation class last term, I used a tablet to hand draw my final animation project and found it incredibly tedious. I cannot imagine hand drawing it first, scanning and then digitally editing.

There are little quirks in this 2006 Academy Award winner from the little cows in the back and to the ridiculousness of the main woman growing her hair out to an unrealistic length. The narration added much to the film, something common in film making and with the mere quirks, make it very endearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment