Friday, March 9, 2012

Reading Response

What I found interesting was the distribution of a film and creating it. It was interesting to learn that films aren’t the same format the entire way through and parts of it can be quite different from the ones in distribution. Perhaps it’s because in our class, I’ve gotten into the habit of using one particular format for filming and then presenting in the corresponding one as well, so it hasn’t really occurred to me that it was possible. For bigger film projects, I would expect that change the format a bit, but I never thought of changing the format for mine. It also depends on the viewing you want as well, such as HD or not. Also, it never occurred to me that they shot in different formats by how smoothly films usually are in the editing process.

It was interesting to read about the difference between film and video since people often associate one with another. Film doesn't necessarily have to be expensive to get good results and for a larger group, video is best. I'm using a little cassette right now for a small group and I think it's quite good so far. Sometimes though, video has an advantage, especially when I'm the type of person that doesn't stop recording when it's not time to and I waste a lot of film and have a lot to upload and go through.

Something I learned from this book was that slow motion was the only option for shooting. It baffles me as now, we don't need to shoot with slow motion because of how our cameras work. As discussed in the text, they needed to shoot many frames per second because film cameras could only achieve these frame rates. From learning a bit about this, I want to be able to experiment with slow motion as we are so spoiled by the smoothness of film now. Even some cirical slo-mo shots are done in film, as mentioned in the book, which proves that it's still quite effective, in cost and in technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment